Burda 6/2013, #126, in size 36. They’re supposed to be “cycling shorts”, but I made them for running—and then used them to go swimming!
About 60cm of dark purple swimsuit fabric, from Komolka, with the matte side on the outside.
I left off the contrasting elastic bands because a) I was too lazy to look into where to buy anything like that; and b) I’m not sure I like the design anyway, particularly in the back.
I shortened the legs a bit by turning over a larger hem than suggested in the pattern. I also turned the hem to the outside rather than the inside because I thought it was fun to see the shiny side of the fabric at the hem, for a subtle contrast.
What I want to do differently next time
Sew a proper elastic casing, instead of just sewing the elastic to the fabric and turning it over, which still leaves a mess inside. Possibly turn this to the outside rather than the inside as well, for another bit of shiny fabric.
Either lengthen the pattern a tad in the back, or shorten it a tad in the front. It looks slightly weird that the waist is higher in the front than in the back (on me, anyway).
Use flat-felled or French seams. The insides of this pair are a mess (and they show at the hems, after my hem alteration).
Use the “elastic straight stitch” (triple straight stitch) for all seams, which should hopefully make for sturdier seams and less fear of inappropriate exposure of underwear.
Possibly look into getting the double needle to work—though that might be a hopeless project on my mum’s sewing machine.
Line drawing taken from BurdaStyle.