After testing Seamstress Erin’s Presidio Purse, I decided that I really liked the shape and mostly liked the construction (which has been improved further in the final version and sew-along)—but the bag was really too big for me. So I’ve scaled it down!
A smaller version of Seamstress Erin’s Presidio Purse. I made View A (with rectangular rings), but again omitted the front insets.
Fabrics and Notions
- For the exterior, IKEA LENDA in red. It’s a really beautiful shade of red and has a nice textured weave. It also frays quite a bit and is very drapey for a home-décor fabric, so I underlined it.
For underlining the exterior fabric, some more of the nylon fabric I used in my Cooper backpack.
For the lining, a mystery fabric I found at Müller. It is definitely synthetic and was even water-repellent before I pre-washed it. I like that it is woven with different-coloured threads and thus looks variegated. I just got a little piece of it specifically for this project, I wouldn’t have bought it otherwise.
For the pocket bags, scraps of a white and blue striped cotton fabric I got from my mum when I started to sew.
- The rectangular rings and the slider for my adjustable strap are from the 3dpatternpaper Etsy store. They’re awesome.
- Well, most obviously, I shrunk the pattern! I just printed the relevant pattern pieces at 60% of their original size.
I omitted the zip to close the bag. I was going to attach one, I even started attaching it, but then realised that it didn’t look right and I didn’t like it. I was pondering other options (magnetic snaps? hook-and-loop tape?), but decided that I was fine with no closure at all on a small bag like this.
I was going to use the Finished Edge Variation from the sew-along for constructing two “large” inside pockets, but got so frustrated with the tutorial that I tossed the whole project aside for weeks. When I returned to it, I tried again and then I tried to wing it. I ended up ripping the pockets apart twice and then decided to go with zipped welt pockets instead. Should’ve done that from the get-go!
- As for my original Presidio, I didn’t use the supplied handle pieces, but cut a straight fabric strap instead. This time, I even made it adjustable.
I attached the anchor pieces for the strap before sewing the exterior and lining together so that the stitching isn’t visible on the inside.
I cut the bottom pieces on the fold instead of sewing two pieces together.
Gertie’s video tutorial for zipped welt pockets (I must admit that she gets on my nerves every time I watch that video, but it’s a very good tutorial—so I grit my teeth, watch it anyway and am grateful for the instructions)